Following a hugely successful UK Airports’ Safety Week earlier in the year, the team at Cardiff Airport were delighted to win the award for the ‘Best Airport Campaign’ at the AOA Annual Conference Awards Dinner, which took place in London last night.
Hosted by The Independent’s Senior Travel Editor and industry expert Simon Calder, the ceremony brings together peers from across the aviation industry to recognise and reward best practice.
The UK Airports Safety Week initiative, which ran from 14-20 May 2018, is a UK-wide week of activities and events led by different organisations over the same seven-day campaign period to promote the importance of safety and security in aviation.
This year, the Cardiff Airport team partnered with a number of organisations including airlines, on-site concessionaires, South Wales Police, NATS, St John’s Ambulance and Welsh Hearts to name just a few, to devise a comprehensive and inclusive programme of activities to reach colleagues, customers and the local community. Some of the featured events included:
- First aid, CPR and defibrillation demonstrations in the check-in hall
- Airfield familiarisation and safety demonstrations for staff, focusing on re-fuelling and dispatching aircraft and aircraft pushbacks before take-off
- Staff well-being sessions, mindfulness and yoga
- Weight management and healthy lifestyle guidance for staff
- Workshops with Hijinx Theatre Company who offered our special assistance team education on working with vulnerable passengers
- Information stands in the terminal covering the complex themes of slavery, human trafficking and FGM, alcohol and drugs awareness, sun protection and bird control on the airfield
- The launch of an Airport Watch- a scheme for local plane spotters and regular visitors to the airport to become a reliable source of information to help boost security by keeping extra eyes on the perimeter.
Cardiff Airport’s CEO Deb Barber commented:
“We are so proud to have won this award. It recognises Cardiff Airport’s commitment to safety and security as our number one priority. UK Airports Safety Week provides a fantastic opportunity for staff, passengers and the community to engage with the Airport and to promote Cardiff Airport’s strong safety culture.
“The team went above and beyond this year to deliver a diverse range of activities, and absolutely deserve to be recognised for their efforts on this. Well done Team Cardiff Airport!
“This year’s campaign was busier than ever, and left a strong legacy at Cardiff Airport. Continuing initiatives include twice-weekly yoga sessions for staff, a weekly ‘Health is Wealth’ weight management group and an Airport Watch run in conjunction with the South Wales Police.”