LEADING Welsh bus operator NAT Group has taken over the operation of five key public bus routes in Swansea, and introduced simplified fares for all its routes in the city.
Routes 16, 35, 43, 46 and 54 will be operated by NAT Group with effect from August 1, under contract to Swansea Council.
NAT Group will also continue to operate the Gower services 114,115,116,117,118 and 119.
Speaking about the announcement, Managing Director Adam Keen said: “NAT Group is delighted to have been awarded the contract to operate these five bus routes.
“It is particularly exciting news for our local team in Swansea who are passionate about providing high quality bus services in their city.
“The team has worked very hard to ensure that we will provide a high-quality service on these new routes, which will hopefully tempt people to leave their cars at home and try their local bus service.”
NAT Group has also announced that a simplified fares structure will be put into place covering all of its routes in the Swansea area to help passengers understand what ticket options are available to them more easily.
Mr Keen said: “It’s important that bus use is convenient and easy to use. As such, we’ve adopted a simple ‘zonal’ fares system, and we’ve removed some very old-fashioned tickets which people simply weren’t buying. These changes are made with ease of use in mind, and I welcome feedback on whether people find this alteration useful by contacting [email protected] .”
Speaking about the change of operators, Mark Thomas, Cabinet Member for Environment and Infrastructure at Swansea Council, said: “Our transport strategy recognises the importance of public transport as a vital way to connect communities, discourage car use where possible and contribute to reducing pollution and our carbon footprints.
“We invest in rural bus services in particular, such as those on Gower because residents need reliable, prompt and good quality buses that enable them to visit friends and shops as well as access other community services.
“The Council is pleased to be working with NAT Group to provide these valuable bus services to our communities.”
The new services to be operated by the NAT Group are:
- Service 16 (Evenings Only) PONTARDDULAIS-SWANSEA via Gorseinon, Gowerton, Waunarlwydd, Cockett & Gors Avenue
- Service 35 LLANGYFELACH- CITY CENTRE via Treboeth & Brynhyfryd
- Service 43 MORRISTON HOSPITAL-CITY CENTRE via Clase, Penlan, Blaen-y-Maes, Fforestfach, Mayhill, Townhill, Sketty & Singleton Hospital
- Service 45 CITY CENTRE-MORRISTON HOSPITAL via Bonymaen, Winchwen, Llansamlet, Birchgrove, Glais and Clydach
- Service 46 MORRISTON & MORRISTON HOSPITAL-GORSEINON via Llangyfelach & Penllergaer
- Service 54 CITY CENTRE-PARC LLEWELLYN via Brynhyfryd
- Service X6C CRAIG FELEN – CRAIG CEFN PARC via Clydach and Penydre
NAT Group operates bus services in South Wales, with depots in Cardiff, Swansea and Pontypridd. The company also operates a number of coaches, as well as Traws Cymru services for the Welsh Government.