Rhug Estate is delighted to have won a raft of Great Taste 2018 Awards for its organic lamb rack, Aberbeen Angus sirloin steak, rump and burgers, Dee Valley Bronze turkey and Rhug organic chicken.
The Great Taste Awards, organised by the Guild of Fine Food, is the acknowledged benchmark for fine food and drink. It has been described as the ‘Oscars’ of the food world and the ‘epicurean equivalent of the Booker prize’. The Great Taste logo is the sign you can trust when buying local food and drink.
In 2018 over 500 judges, including specially trained food writers, came together at 65 judging days from March through to early July. 12,634 products were entered this year and only 37% of the entries were accredited. Those accredited receive either three, two or one stars for their products. Only 192 entries received three stars. Rhug achieved one star for all of the organic meat products reared on the farm entered into the awards.
“I am pleased our organic meat products have yet again achieved Great Taste Awards. These Awards are recognition of all the hard work and dedication of the entire team both on the farm and in our cutting plant. We pride ourselves on producing the best quality organic meat for our customers, whether they be in our Farm Shop, online or wholesale. The team is always striving to do better and that is how it should be.”
The Rhug organic products that received One Star Great Taste Awards include:
- Rhug Organic French Trimmed Lamb Rack. The judges commented that this was a beautifully trimmed rack retaining a pleasing overlay of fat, delightfully tender to cut with quite a light flavour.
- Rhug Organic Aberdeen Angus (bone in) Sirloin Steak 35 days Himalayan Salt dry aged. The judges commented that this was a good looking piece of steak, moist and succulent and a good depth of flavour.
- Rhug Organic Aberdeen Angus Rump Heart 35 days Himalayan Salt Dry Aged. The judges said this was a great looking piece of rump with a delicious aroma. The flavour was lasting and full of character.
- Rhug Organic Aberdeen Angus beef burger. The judges said the burger had a nice open texture and was a good thickness. It had a good beefy flavour with a well-balanced level of fat.
- Rhug Organic Dee Valley Bronze Turkey. The judges said the turkey was a magnificent sight, which would be a proud centrepiece on a family festive table.
- Rhug Organic White Chicken. The judges said this was a great looking bird, generously sized, appetising and juicy.